#2750 Are you consider supporting Nodejs?

Ilove:= Sun 16 Jun 2019

IMHO, node is a better target than dotnet clr. Having fan running on node is a plus for us :)

When I said nodejs I only means the ability to run on the nodejs vm and (optionally) interop with javascript. I doesn't mean integration with npm and become just another language transpile to js. I prefer pure fan code and fanr :)

go4 Sun 16 Jun 2019

There is already a NodeRunner in compilerJs pod.

Oh, I just not discovered this, thanks.

SlimerDude Mon 17 Jun 2019

NodeRunner is for running Fantom classes annotated with @Js but the purpose of such is for creating Fantom javascript that runs in a browser; NodeJs is not a server target so there is no support core IO features such as Files.

Gone are the days of vanilla javascript!

Ilove:= Thu 20 Jun 2019

So my question remains. NodeJS is such an amazing platform. Will you support it?

andy Thu 20 Jun 2019

NodeRunner is for running Fantom classes annotated with @Js but the purpose of such is for creating Fantom javascript that runs in a browser

Thats not quite true :)

Yes NodeRunner (and previously "RhinoRunner") strictly speaking was created to support running unit tests for our browser runtime -- but there is nothing preventing anyone from taking the platform further.

Just like in the browser -- all you need is a way to (1) load the js dependencies, and (2) invoke an entry point function -- and you're off to the races :)

The core runtime will of course work fine -- but I bet there is probably a fairly small set of extensions you would need to flush out to make it functional on server/desktop systems. Some of that work may be in there -- I recall adding local File support at one point or another (that may have been for Rhino though).

Networking and general I/O is probably the other big one. That might be better suited for an downstream pod until it stabilizes and then look at how we'd merge it back into core.

I started to explore Electron + Fantom a while back -- at the time I was forking a JVM process and running Wisp -- but would really like to just run the Fantom stack directly on nodejs engine.

Login or Signup to reply.